<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Di Bawoh Rang Ikang Kering
Random Ramblings of A Retired Retainer

SAING RODONG

Wednesday, July 06, 2005
Parents in Terengganu and probably elsewhere too always tell their children that there are 3 types of friends:
1. Those that you should leave at your gate
2. Those that you leave at the steps
3. Those that you invite into the house.

If you go beyond the literal sense, the third type are friends that you allow into your life and its trials and tribulations, its ups and down and whatever in between. These are the friends that you tell your troubles to. They are your confidante and your advisors. They know your weaknesses and they accepted them. They are slow to judge, if at all. Most of all, when you are in their company, you feel good, you feel safe and comfortable. Most of all you feel happy.
I do have friends like these. Not many but enough. For that, alhamdullillah, I am grateful.

The English says "A friend in need is a friend indeed." To me, a good friend will not need anything from me except my company and my friendship. If my good friend needs anything, I would know and I would try to give him without waiting for him to ask. Friends who befriend me only when they need something are not really friends. I have many of this type. I am sure you do too.

Whatever your station in life is, good friends are equal. Otherwise, you will not be friends. You will be no more than just a leader and a follower. Bad friends can lead you into tight spots. If you have the chance, read Imam Ghazali's "Bimbingan Mukminin" and think about what he said about friends. Lucky is the person who knows what kind of friends he has. A friend once gave me a plaque to put on my desk. On it was written:

Do not walk in front of me, I might not follow
Do not walk behind me, I might not lead
Just walk beside me
And be my friend.