<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Di Bawoh Rang Ikang Kering
Random Ramblings of A Retired Retainer

TECHNOLOGY TRAUMA

Friday, October 01, 2004

My computers are dying on me.

First, my less than 5 year old Toshiba laptop had intermittent power due to a recalcitrant power socket. Kenny fixed it but it died again. Now Kenny, my computer pusher for over 20 odd years have given up. I gave it to Nazri of Nazateq. He too gave up. Seems I have to replace the whole motherboard just to get the power socket. Maybe I can get a battery that can last a bit longer than Speedy Gonzales. Without the Toshiba I cannot download pictures from the old Canon Powershot dinosaur which Yem gave me in lieu of a speaker's fee. That camera only works with Window 98. Oh well, I will dream of an IBM ThinkPad then. And current model digital cameras. Until then, I have an extra door stop.

Yesterday, my Palm m100 (please don't laugh) refused to respond. It worked ok after resetting but after Hot synching data, it ignored all proddings of the stylus or even ball point pens. It just sat there collecting indentations on the screen.
I got the Palm m100 many many years ago as a birthday present from my kids. Many pda models have passed since then but I stubbornly stuck to mine. It served me well and I see no reason to replace it. It reminded me of birthdays and other momentous occasions, kept the addresses and phone numbers of my friends and associates, amused me with games (in black and white) and calculated for me how deep in debts I am at any given time of the day. I can even exchange phone numbers and email addresses with complete strangers on LRT or in shopping malls via the infra red thingy if I have the guts and the thick skin for it. Now, sadly, I can't.

Lest my kids reading this think that I am angling for another pda, let me categorically state that I am not. Absolutely not. I plan to have a secretary next year. He or she won't need resetting or repeated proddings with a stylus. I have, however, asked Elisa to book me the pda phone like what Kak Long has which she could get for RM1000 cheaper from her Co-Op store. Unfortunately, the offer has already expired and Elisa is thinking of parting ways with her employer. By the way, how come Elisa doesn't have Ir. before her name? She didn't register or what?

Back to the topic. Computers are stupid anyway. You can prove it yourself. Pull out the keyboard and power up. You will then be told:

"Keyboard Not Found. Press F1 to proceed." Heh. My mom would say "Lembu Mekoh".

| 12:01 AM :: ::
14 CommentsOldStyle:
  • It's okay Pok Ku... some months ago, my computer's power button broke and HP people in Malaysia AND New Zealand said I'd have to replace the whole motherboard. Then Tris, the genius, decided to have a go resoldering the button on at his physics lab... and Voila! My pc now works fine!

    On a more droolly note though, both Tris and I want Powerbooks and we're thinking of including them in our mutual hantaran! Hee hee...

    By Blogger DaisyBoo Blacksheep, at 5:10 AM  
  • It's okay Pok Ku... some months ago, my computer's power button broke and HP people in Malaysia AND New Zealand said I'd have to replace the whole motherboard. Then Tris, the genius, decided to have a go resoldering the button on at his physics lab... and Voila! My pc now works fine!

    On a more droolly note though, both Tris and I want Powerbooks and we're thinking of including them in our mutual hantaran! Hee hee...

    By Blogger DaisyBoo Blacksheep, at 5:11 AM  
  • "Lembu Mekoh"??
    HA HA HA HA HA
    That's classic.
    I miss her sometimes.

    And I don't have an Ir. in front of my name because I have reprioritized that dream a long long long time ago.
    Now all I wanna do is relax..
    Furthermore, my name is long enough, thanx to you. ;)

    -elisa

    By Blogger elisataufik, at 9:53 AM  
  • Wellll, we do owe you a birthday present, which unfortunately will have to wait :P

    And my xda -- well, it's showing its true colours too. I've been surfing the net on it and downloading stuff from warez, which is probably akin to having unprotected one night stands, and now I think my phone is infected.

    By Blogger mokciknab, at 10:48 AM  
  • Be like me Mann, stop trying to figure out computers. LOL They are a hazard to your health anyway. They make your blood pressure rise when ya get so upset. I can offer ya no advice on how to fix the PDA except, bang it, slam it, and if that doesn't work...try the trash can. -Jackie-

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:30 PM  
  • All your electronics died on you because you use them too often!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:03 PM  
  • If the motherboard has to go, I suggest that you mount it on a real expensive timber frame and hang it in the office. Great conversation piece!

    By Blogger Kri, at 4:48 AM  
  • Daisyboo: Thanks girl! Now I know I am on the right track.

    Kris: Ha ha! Capital idea!

    By Blogger Bustaman, at 10:00 AM  
  • I Makkah,I have not even one 'lembu'.Just wondering how the 'lembu Mekah came about?

    Btw, I love technology and gadgets.

    By Blogger Adib Noh, at 12:33 PM  
  • Agree with Pok Ku, great idea Kri! Arghhh... I should've brought home the faulty motherboard. ;-)

    By Blogger Honeytar, at 12:53 AM  
  • Pok Adib, I think "lembu Mekoh" came from the baghal (donkey or ass) found in Mekah but not in Malaysia. Since it is a beast of burden like our lembu back home, it became known by Terengganu people as "lembu mekoh". And bagah are stupid and stubborn.

    By Blogger Bustaman, at 12:45 PM  
  • pakcik, just use Mac OS X & Apple computer instead of Windows product..most of the time Windows will die due to virus infection, that is what Microsoft really popular for! :D

    By Blogger alang, at 8:13 PM  
  • Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a computer speaker site/blog. It pretty much covers computer speaker related stuff.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:17 AM  
  • good blog on computer laptop motherboard. I have a related article here computer laptop motherboard

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:01 AM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

© Bustaman :: permalink