<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Di Bawoh Rang Ikang Kering
Random Ramblings of A Retired Retainer

KULIT MANIS: PRE-LAUNCH PREPS

Sunday, November 15, 2009
















To lovers of Terengganu dialect who drop in and go away disappointed, I must apologise for being a little bit obsessed with this book. I must remind you that this blog is not just about Terengganu words but about everything that is in Terengganu and about Terengganu. So is Kulit Manis: A Taste of Terengganu's Heritage which I feel is a must-have for any anak Terengganu who loves his state.

Yesterday I had the honour of meeting the Design Team from Singapore responsible for the look of the book. If Kulit Manis was a bride, these lovely ladies would be the Mak Andams, the Image Consultants and to some extent, the midwives. Award Winner Sylvia Tan (Design and Art Direction) and May Chua (Project Coordinator) were busy designing the booths and the exhibition panels for the preview in Pulau Duyong and the launch in JW Marriot KL and we did not have that many opportunities to talk and I did not have the chance to learn much about layouts and fonts. They did tell me that they use Adobe InDesign©, a software that I am using to design newsletters etc. for friends (and for free). They told me that after more than 30 years (and I guessed countless fine books) of work, they are taking life easy. They are semi-retired now and they work whenever they choose to. Kulit Manis was a project they were passionate about and when you see the book, you will know what passion and dedication can produce.

As for the book, the special preview will be at the Ri-yaz Heritage Marina and Exhibition Centre, Pulau Duyung, Kuala Terengganu for the whole duration of the Monsoon Cup (2-6 December). Time:10 am to 6pm daily and it is open to the public. Copies of the book can be bought at a discounted price of RM225 per copy.

Before the anak-anak Terengganu and fans of Terengganu in Kuala Lumpur scowl into their nasi dagang or Gulai Rebah Bangun (both are in the book), the book will be offered at the same discount on launch day (Sunday December 20th, Mayang Sari Ballroom, JWW Marriot, KL). The recently installed DYMM Tengku Ampuan Besar Negeri Sembilan Darul Khusus, Tuanku Aishah Rohani (from Terengganu) has graciously consented to launch the book.

I have a copy of the book, duly autographed by To' Puan Rosita and so far I have read and slowly savouring 10 pages. There are 242 more pages to go, so excuse me while I take my leave.

Labels: , ,