<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Di Bawoh Rang Ikang Kering
Random Ramblings of A Retired Retainer

LATE MERDEKA POST

Saturday, September 02, 2006
I know that this post is late although I can offer the excuse that we are still in the Merdeka mood. Officially, the Merdeka mood ends on Sept 16.
I celebrated Merdeka eve at Sunway Lagoon. Mimi was given 5 tickets to the show put up by students of various colleges. She wanted to bring her friend Tanisha Raj along. Since I have never been to Sunway Lagoon before, I agreed to be one of the chaperones.

After dinner we picked up Tanisha and inched our way to Sunway. We were shown to the car park by the security guards. It was a very long walk from the car park to the Sunway Lagoon "beach" where the show was. I was initially glad that I left my camera bag home. The ticket warned us not to bring any recording devices. Mimi insisted that it included cameras. Our fears were unfounded though because even though bags were thoroughly checked, cameras were allowed. I saw many people snapping away at the event. I kicked myself for not being able to photograph the microcosm of Malaysia present at the event. There were Malaysians of almost every ethnic origin including some families speaking in thick Indonesian accent. Mimi told me the tickets were RM25 apiece. Many were given free, I guess. I also saw a very sad looking young man in the crowd. Moments later I saw the reason for his downer. He brought his mother instead of his girlfriend. Filial piety above self I guess.

The night confirmed my suspicion that the de facto uniform of teens in Malaysia (and maybe in the world) is tight jeans. One exception that I noticed was a Malay girl in red and gold cheongsam making out with her ajinomoto right there in the crowd. I snapped a quick pic of them with my handphone but I would not share that with you. I will however, share with you the short video of the night's fireworks display taken by 14 year old Tanisha Raj.