<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Di Bawoh Rang Ikang Kering
Random Ramblings of A Retired Retainer

HAPPY AIDILADHA!

Thursday, January 20, 2005
Reading my SiteMeter report, I have noticed that most of you read my blog from your work place.Some read in the house and a few logged in from both the work place AND the house. Whatever it is, most of you will not log in tomorrow (Friday) since it is Hari Raya Haji or Aidil Adha. Allow me to wish you a meaningful and happy Aidiladha.
Sometimes, Hari Raya Haji is also called Hari Raya Qurban because animals such as camels and other livestocks are slaughtered as a sacrifice to commemorate Prophet Ibrahim's sacrifice of his son, Ismael. This is not only done in Makkah by the haj pilgrims but by Muslims all over the world. Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham)was so obedient to God's command even at the expense of his son's life. And Ismael, his son was willing enough to sacrifice his life for God. At the last moment, Allah substituted Ismael with a sheep.
The meat of the sacrificed animals are distributed to the poor. A little bit is kept by the owner unless of course the animal was sacrificed as a nazar (vow). Then the meat is forbidden to the person making the vow.
When I was small, Hari Raya Qurban will be followed by a few days of meat dishes including grilled beef with "cecah" (the dip) made of tamarind juice and salt. They were enjoyable days. I still have my teeth then.
In my innocence, I asked why chickens and ducks were not sacrificed. That was on the day that I got fed up of beef and mutton I think. I was told that those who sacrificed the livestock would get to ride them in the Hereafter. If you sacrificed a camel, you get to ride a camel. If you sacrificed a goat, you get to ride on the goat's back. I remembered thinking out loud that I would sacrifice a motorcycle.

Have a safe holiday. I might not be able to get online in the next few days. See you soon, InsyaAllah.