<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Di Bawoh Rang Ikang Kering
Random Ramblings of A Retired Retainer

DRIVING LESSONS & LICENSE

Monday, January 10, 2005

Any of you seen this booklet kind of driving license? Not likely since most of you were not born yet when they first came out. I got mine in January 1965 and it lasted until 1973 before it was replaced. The fee also was increased many times. When I first got my license, the fee was only RM5. I can assure you that my license is not the kopi o type. I did my bungling on wheels before I took my test and touch wood (touching my head), I had only one accident. That was on the Federal Highway when a tanker leaked palm oil along the stretch in front of the EPF and my Ford Ghia had minimal "flower" on the tyres. The car spinned and went into the back of a small lorry. My windscreen broke. The lorry's brake light was broken and the school children nearby clapped and broke into a lusty cheer. There were 11 other cars that skidded on the same spot that day. That was what the sarjan at the PJ Police Station told me. Ater looking at my car, the lorry driver decided not to ask me to replace his brake light.

Last Saturday, my car decided to have an accident on its own. While parked in front of Jaya Supermarket, quietly minding its own business, a driver with kopi o license (if at all) tore the back bumper and the right tail light. No notes was left. Hit and run. Such is the courtesy that I got. I was restrained from putting the thousand fleas curse on the offending (and offensive) unknown driver. The driver needs lessons in driving and common courtesy.

I learned how to drive first on a friend's Mini Minor and later on my father-in-law's Morris Minor. The Mini Minor belonged to a friend, Harun Aton elder brother of the SIRIM chief. Harun, also a teacher and a very good musician replaced his Vespa with the Mini. The Mini was designed for the world's worst drivers and Harun thought he should give me driving lessons in it. He taught me the rudiments like what and where the clutch, the gear stick and the pedals are and how to use them. The road test was on the road in front of the school leading to Tersat. It was usually deserted then. I did well until we came to the bailey bridge, high over a deep river. I opened up the throttle and closed my eyes.

Harun stopped the lessons after that.

( To everyone who voted for me in the Asia Blog Award, my deepest gratitude. InsyaAllah, we will get together and I will thank you in person. Tenkiu very mah. Jua kayu boleh samah.)