<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Di Bawoh Rang Ikang Kering
Random Ramblings of A Retired Retainer

DAY ONE

Monday, January 03, 2005



Today is the first day of school for many kids in the West Coast of Peninsular Malaysia and in Sabah and Sarawak too. Schools in the East Coast states started yesterday (Sunday).

There will be some crying and wailing today in Standard One. Some parents will hang around the class room ready to pacify their offspring when or if necessary. Scenes of wailing boys or girls at the threshold of their new classroom clinging to their parent's legs at are getting rare, thanks to kindergartens. But there are always exceptions. Watch the TV news.

Some parents are crying too, silently. Some could not accept that their kids are already of school-going age. Some are reeling from having to pay a hefty sum for school uniforms, school bags, school bus fares, school books and later some school fees and maybe, to the anxious ones, tuition fees. And let's not forget the co-curricular activities. There will be other uniforms (Scouts, Red Crescent, whatever) or equipment to buy like rackets and other sports equipment and accessories. Multiply all these with the number of school-going kids you have. It is enough to make parents regret that they have kids, even only for a fleeting moment. To my young married readers, save a lot of money before you decide to have children. You will find them more expensive as the years go by. They are worth every sen though.

Among the noisy and sometimes bewildered children in primary schools today are my grandchildren Ilham and Aishah. Ilham has been briefed on what to do and what not to do in school by his parents. I am sure Aishah was too although I would suspect that Aishah would do most of the briefing. Most schools held Orientation Day for first timers to lessen whatever trauma the first year pupils have.

My own first day was a happy one. My father sent me to the Merang Malay School a year before I was supposed to be in school. The headmaster, Cik Gu Wei, was his friend. My mok's younger relatives were in the same school and they kept feeding me cukelat nissang and saggong. I had a papang slet (an A4 size slate chalkboard as in pic) instead of exercise books and kalang batu ( stone stylus) instead of pencils. We carried a bottle of water and a rag to wipe the papang slet but most preferred to spit and wipe. I also remember that Cik Gu Wei couldn't straighten one of his arms. Terengganu people call this condition deko. Cik Gu Wei was one of the earliest local UMNO leaders and when he led the villagers in shouting "Merdeka! Merdeka!", the villagers wickedly responded with "MerDEKO! MerDEKO!" with unwarranted gusto.


Picture from KUB online catalog.


| 12:01 AM :: ::
42 CommentsOldStyle:
  • owh.. i miss those days.. being in sch r some of my bestest years... looks like i'll just hv to await n anticipate in my childrens' turns... hahaaa...

    ~winnie~

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:13 AM  
  • Love the chalkboard pic! Cute! :)

    By Blogger Sleekblackmercedes, at 12:19 AM  
  • It felt like only yesterday, eager me, at 4:30 in the morning all ready waiting for my lift to school. Mum got woken up from the noise told me to go back to bed. I said 'But I want to be a doctor', she said 'So, you have to listen to me'. I went back to bed with shoes on, nicely 'kapor'-ed, brilliant white and almost sterilized. Never underestimate the mind of a seven year old.

    By Blogger scrubber, at 6:25 AM  
  • perhaps, in less than ten years from now, parents are to equip the kids with notebooks. then all the referring materials would be in in electronic forms. and the pupolation rate would decline.

    By Blogger Anonymous, at 6:53 AM  
  • hahahahaha! this is hysterical! poor cik gu wei deko. :DDD

    mek yam

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:12 AM  
  • PokKu- When we were in std one, it was 1957 . The word merdeka was something new and of course we dont know the meaning. So, we shouted the nearest word that we know its meaning- mentega! mentega! mentega! It was not for the fun of it but thats the honest child's innocent attempt to pronouce that word. Well, there are other versions which I heard besides Merdeko - merdeheka ( sounds toonear to menderhaka) mendeka /mengdeka/mandeka shouted by the old generations. Trengganuspeak sometimes pronouced it as ddekka . Bila Malaya ddekka ?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:53 AM  
  • PokKu - I remember one of my classmate in std one then did not have a proper toilet training. Or they dont know waht to do . I knew something was wrong when a rather unpleasant smell stung my nose and those days we dont have the pamper yet and we are to small to wear "spendar"...So the whole lot of the stuffs fell on the floor like the nissang cair but the smell was not so aromatic . There was no helper and that was one of the teachers job to clean the mess. We have to go out of the class to let the washed water flow out freely. Perhaps PokKu you can tell us interesting stories of your school days and we can relate it from epidoe to episode. I think the learning process and the maturity as well as the naughtiness of the children of yesteryears were more advanced than todays. The fresh graduate of todays many IPTA, IPTS, IPTJ, IPTK,IPTL, IPTM, IPTM,IPTN, IPTO,IPTP, IPTQ, IPTR etc. etc. are like our hok luluh sinier kemberej saje. beto dokPokKu?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:02 AM  
  • MerDEKO was once upon a time one of Wok Sae's many popular jokes.

    My first day at 'school' was at the english-medium St. Martin's Kindergarten which was then at the present day Perdana Hotel site. To and fro was via Pok Cik Daud's teksi (trishaw) with my close friend Pak Do who is now a VP at BCB Msia. There was a church next to it and we used to peek thru the stained glass doors and got a bit terrified of the pews (coz then it seemed, to us, like rows of coffin). "Please teacher may I go out" was probably one of the first sentences we had to learn, otherwise there would be lots of wet floor incidents.

    By Blogger Atok, at 9:17 AM  
  • I was an arrogant child when I was small. I refused my Dad's gracious offer to send me to the classroom. I told him I know where it is and I am not a kid anymore I can walk myself there. All he had to do was drop me off. So he did...but then he came to check on me...I was deeply embarassed by his actions and 'merajuk' after that. I felt that it wasnt cool tobe seen with parents in the school compound and couldnt understand those who cling to their parent's leg, begging not to be left in school all by themselves.

    Talk about being independent...was independent since small...!!!

    By Blogger ビビ, at 10:32 AM  
  • The papan slet, do you have to memorise everything that you've written on it first before erasing it? I notice my parents' generation have real good memories.. could the papan slet be the reason?

    By Blogger Yasmin's Mummy, at 1:06 PM  
  • i refused to wear my school uniform the first time i went to school. i went dressed in this bright orange shirt and my favourite pair of pants. boy did i stand out. i shooed my parents away, telling them they were embarassing me. i felt so mature and smart. that was 10 years ago. wow~time flies.....

    By Blogger dr1/6, at 1:33 PM  
  • I remember that day as if it were yesterday! I got bread and butter with sausages for recess and proudly told them to 'go home and come back later'... only to find them sitting in the canteen 3 hours later. Hehehe... I guess it's not just traumatic for some children, but for their parents as well who have to suddenly accept the fact that they're not their babies anymore!

    By Blogger DaisyBoo Blacksheep, at 1:34 PM  
  • Uncany Strange Deja Vu

    By Blogger Hazelinesnow, at 2:50 PM  
  • hari ni hantar anak ke-2 masuk darjah satu. baru bercerita dengan rakan di kantin sekolah, "budak2 tahun ni bagus, takde yang menangis..". tiba2 terdengar suara budak menangis yang seakan "familiar" aje. Anak saya menangis di tangga, tak jumpa cari kelas di tingkat 3 lepas makan waktu rehat. buat malu bapak sungguh. --md

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:20 PM  
  • I still remembered my first day of school. Though my first of school it not that interesting. In my time, all parents dropped off their children and they went to work. By the time school's over, of course lah, Very jam at the school compund. But it was interesting.

    By Blogger Fuad, at 3:21 PM  
  • First day of kindergarten: Parents can't make it since they are teachers and busy with THEIR first day of school. Sent to St Theresa by Pokcik Musa, my beca man and left there to fend for myself..only to find out it was registration day and you get to go back after 20 mins. Good ol' Pokcik Musa came to the rescue *Allah bless his soul*

    First day of school: Parents can't make it since they are teachers and busy with THEIR first day of school, again. Sent to school by Pokcik Arip - in a kereta sapu. Envied other kids for like 5 mins..then found kindy friends and forgot about parents..hehehe.

    By Blogger lion3ss, at 3:22 PM  
  • i remember during my primary schools, having magic colour was a luxury. :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:42 PM  
  • Hehe..
    I don't remember the part about getting ready for 1st day school.
    I DO recall the girl who sat next to me that first day.

    Another thing I remember - I'm horrible at drawing! So I think during the first week, the teacher asked everyone to draw "My House & Me".
    When I saw that girl drew, I immediately asked her to draw for me. Hahahha!
    I remember the person in front of the house being much taller than the house itself! ;)

    Oh yes, the girl became one of the closest friends, even till today! :)

    By Blogger Yam, at 4:24 PM  
  • we've gone a long way since papan slepet...

    By Blogger Hyphenated L, at 5:33 PM  
  • Kids nowadays are less independent compared to kids during my time. I remember that my dad didn't have to stay @ school on my first day.

    By Blogger shay, at 5:54 PM  
  • Winnie:
    Awww..Thanks for visiting!

    SleekBlackMercedes:
    I hope you didnt see anything sexy in that drawing. :D

    Najmie:
    Aaaah, an eager beaver!

    riza:
    For one thing, it will eliminate the heavy bags.

    Mek Yam:
    Heheheh. He is a nice person though.

    Anon@8.53am
    Well commented, thanks!

    Anoyn@9.02 am
    Beto jugok!

    Atok:
    Was that one of the earliest English medium kindie in KB?

    Bibi:
    You are still independent, girl!

    Yasmin's Mummy:
    I really can't remember!

    saRah:
    Assertive eh? Now wonder you take up taekwando. :D

    Daisyboo:
    Well said!

    ceklong:
    I will try Haloscan soon. See if it is better.

    Hazel:
    Now, where did I see that before?

    md:
    Kesian!

    Afiq:
    In your case, it is not too long ago.

    lion3ss:
    St.Theresa at Mengadang Akor. Elida and Elisa went there too.

    jiwa rasa:
    They were imported then and expensive.

    almondo:
    Harapa harap esok ok. Thanks for visiting!

    Yam:
    Aaah, memories.....

    hyphenated L:
    Yes, they were for my generation. Saved a lot of trees though.

    shay:
    Too "manja" perhaps?

    By Blogger Bustaman, at 6:36 PM  
  • Pok Ku, I thot you're gonna post your cute Std.1 photos up there. ;-)

    By Blogger Honeytar, at 11:06 PM  
  • Honeytar:
    I would have if I could find any.

    By Blogger Bustaman, at 11:40 PM  
  • I sent my 2nd kid to 'venture out' the schooldom yesterday. Mujo dok nangih! True to core about the expenses. I 'burnt' approx RM2k for both of them.

    By Blogger atiza, at 9:48 AM  
  • Used to go to St Martin's as well. Used to sneak into church to check on my skirt, god knows why though. Oh, and buy trebor sweets from the pokcik thru the hedge. :-) Can't believe it is more than 25 years ago.

    By Blogger Ayu Jamli, at 2:23 PM  
  • Interesting blog I was looking for canon drive sites and learned some good stuff here thanks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:19 AM  
  • this is a nice canon s9000 ink blog

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:22 AM  
  • So many blogs and only 10 numbers to rate them. I'll have to give you a 9 because you have a quailty topic.

    Free Access To More Information Aboutexotic travel

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:44 PM  
  • Great new Property Listing real estate listing lancaster pa site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:31 AM  
  • Blogger, interesting post - DAY ONE.

    Personally, I've always found w t offshore to be very intriguing, and interesting, but not always very informative. So I did some research and started my own webpage to help people get started with w t offshore.

    If w t offshore also piques your interest, come by when you've got a few seconds - check out the different resources listed. I'm sure you'll find it very interesting.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:00 PM  
  • Blogger, interesting post - DAY ONE.

    Personally, I've always found hsbc offshore to be very intriguing, and interesting, but not always very informative. So I did some research and started my own webpage to help people get started with hsbc offshore.

    If hsbc offshore also piques your interest, come by when you've got a few seconds - check out the different resources listed. I'm sure you'll find it very interesting.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:31 AM  
  • Nice blog :)......Interesting post on DAY ONE. Personally, I've always been fascintated with edison chouest offshore, so I created a website not long ago called just that - edison chouest offshore.

    It'd be great if you were to drop by for a few seconds - have a look around, check out a few of the informative links I've got there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:46 AM  
  • Blogger, interesting post - DAY ONE.

    Personally, I've always found edison chouest offshore to be very intriguing, and interesting, but not always very informative. So I did some research and started my own webpage to help people get started with edison chouest offshore.

    If edison chouest offshore also piques your interest, come by when you've got a few seconds - check out the different resources listed. I'm sure you'll find it very interesting.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:31 AM  
  • Blogger, interesting post - DAY ONE.

    Personally, I've always found hsbc offshore to be very intriguing, and interesting, but not always very informative. So I did some research and started my own webpage to help people get started with hsbc offshore.

    If hsbc offshore also piques your interest, come by when you've got a few seconds - check out the different resources listed. I'm sure you'll find it very interesting.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:42 AM  
  • Nice blog :)......Interesting post on DAY ONE. Personally, I've always been fascintated with w t offshore, so I created a website not long ago called just that - w t offshore.

    It'd be great if you were to drop by for a few seconds - have a look around, check out a few of the informative links I've got there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:30 PM  
  • Blogger, interesting post - DAY ONE.

    Personally, I've always found offshore platform foundation to be very intriguing, and interesting, but not always very informative. So I did some research and started my own webpage to help people get started with offshore platform foundation.

    If offshore platform foundation also piques your interest, come by when you've got a few seconds - check out the different resources listed. I'm sure you'll find it very interesting.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:11 PM  
  • Nice blog :)......Interesting post on DAY ONE. Personally, I've always been fascintated with , so I created a website not long ago called just that - .

    It'd be great if you were to drop by for a few seconds - have a look around, check out a few of the informative links I've got there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:23 PM  
  • Blogger, interesting post - DAY ONE.

    Personally, I've always found edison chouest offshore to be very intriguing, and interesting, but not always very informative. So I did some research and started my own webpage to help people get started with edison chouest offshore.

    If edison chouest offshore also piques your interest, come by when you've got a few seconds - check out the different resources listed. I'm sure you'll find it very interesting.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:24 PM  
  • Nice blog :)......Interesting post on DAY ONE. Personally, I've always been fascintated with offshore company incorporation, so I created a website not long ago called just that - offshore company incorporation.

    It'd be great if you were to drop by for a few seconds - have a look around, check out a few of the informative links I've got there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:05 AM  
  • Nice blog :)......Interesting post on DAY ONE. Personally, I've always been fascintated with offshore hedge funds, so I created a website not long ago called just that - offshore hedge funds.

    It'd be great if you were to drop by for a few seconds - have a look around, check out a few of the informative links I've got there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:26 PM  
  • lorazepam mg lorazepam-ratiopharm 1mg beipackzettel - lorazepam tablets 1mg (wye)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:34 PM  
  • buy generic valium online no prescription withdrawal from 5mg valium - valium pill generic

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

© Bustaman :: permalink