<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Di Bawoh Rang Ikang Kering
Random Ramblings of A Retired Retainer

MNEMONIC NUMBERS

Wednesday, December 29, 2004


We will take a break from talking about food which leads to eating and the consequent wardrobe replacement. Neither are we taking requests today. We will talk about something that we haven't seen in
Malaysia yet.

Have you ever come across phone numbers written like this?

1-300- IRS-KING

1-800- THE-CARD

1-888-CUPCAKE

They are Vanity numbers and they are easier to remember than just plain numbers. If you use the International Standard keypad in the figure below


you can figure out that their numbers are

1-300-477-5464

1-800-843-2273

1-888-2872253

Vanity numbers are good to advertise your business because they are easy to remember especially if you advertise on radio. Radio stations wanting more listeners to phone in would do well to have a number like 03-RADIO MUZIK instead of 03 72340 68945 because people can remember words better than numbers. Alas, Radio Muzik's number doesn't begin with 7 and the numbers do not go up to 10 digits.

Given the numbering system used in Malaysia at the moment, businesses and organisations in Malaysia would have to get a 1-300 number or a 1-800 number to use this Vanity number thing. I guess they have to sit down with Telekom Malaysia or the relevant Telcos and come up with:


1-300-AHLONGS (to ask about loans)

1-800-PEMADAM (Drugs Hotline)

1-800-AIRPORT (Landings and Take offs)

1-300-LAPTOPS (Notebooks bargains)

1-300- SAUNAS (Special offer on massages and spas)

1-800-KAHWIN (Kursus perkahwinan)

You can work out what their numbers are and then take it from here and cook up your own vanity numbers for business or pleasure.

| 12:01 AM :: ::
29 CommentsOldStyle:
  • awww, pok ku!!! I was just whetting up my appetite and hoping your next posting would be on crabs, crab sambal, crabs masak lemak!!! anything but make it with crabs!!!
    I have never seen any of those numbers that you mentioned and am sure they can be useful - especially for my husband who has difficulties remembering numbers. In fact, I am his phone directory - I have my own formula remembering numbers.
    But I am better talking abt crabs!

    By Blogger Kak Teh, at 12:41 AM  
  • 1-300-khirtoyo would be nice. direct access to the menteri besar

    -riza

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:43 AM  
  • 1-300-SITINURHALIZA

    now that's a number i would love to call.
    (as long as she's the only one who picks it up :P )

    - joe -

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:12 AM  
  • 1-800-VOTE.POKKU (Best Msian Blog) !
    1-800-VOTE.JALAN-JALAN (Best Political Blog) !

    By Blogger Honeytar, at 1:36 AM  
  • I loved the AH-LONG number...Hahaha :)

    By Blogger Sleekblackmercedes, at 1:53 AM  
  • I have to say Pok Ku that this is the best way to advertise things via radio because by doing this mnemonic numbers, people/listeners will tend to remember the phone number better. Thus making the advertisement a succesful one and also an interesting one too..

    By Blogger Fuad, at 3:55 AM  
  • Ever since I got my mobile, I tried to get the number
    0XX-84 35472 (TG ELISA) .. but never managed to get it.
    my current number spells.. eh... i'm not gonna give strangers my phone number..

    By Blogger elisataufik, at 8:35 AM  
  • Pok Ku..

    I used the icon and link for the blogger relief for victims of the tsunami from your blog to mine.

    Thanks. Tak tau mana nak cekup sir. Found it here so might as well...:)

    By Blogger Sham, at 9:32 AM  
  • It reminds me of Johnny Mnemonic movie. Actually it reminds me of Keanu Reeves...LOL

    By Blogger atiza, at 10:03 AM  
  • Hi pokku, i dont deny it's usefulness in advertising. Somehow, it didnt work on me during my stay in the States. Would rather look at the numbers straight than figuring what alphas go with what numbers.

    (...the Pizza Hut jingle is playing in my head right now...the one with 7552525..:-))

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:38 AM  
  • Mnemonic is interesting topic..there's one time Radio Era has put up a contest based on this mnemonic concept...we can train our kids to master this method for their learning so they only memorize stories they've created using the number given.Lessons will be much easier that way.. Adults can share secret codes among themselves *wink*wink* .Hmmm..I'm going to write secret code now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:39 AM  
  • Ooo! Educational post! I learnt 2 new things after reading this. (1) The meaning of "mnemonic" (Keanu aint a strong enuff pull-factor in me books) (2) That those 1-800-BLUR numbers are called Vanity numbers!! Ta!! :)

    By Blogger Blabarella, at 10:43 AM  
  • I used to have 012-3XX6462 (NINA). Here are my proposal for vanity numbers:

    1-300-ON-SALES
    1-300-LUNCH-MANA
    1-300-HARGA-AYAM or HARGA-IKAN
    1-300-EZ-2-COOK
    1-300-CARIJALAN or CARIMAID
    1-300-EDDIE-DIMANA (this is for PJ stalker)
    1-300-UPDATED-BLOGS

    -2435 62-

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:10 AM  
  • 1-800-RED NECK - Direct Line to George W Bush

    By Blogger BJ, at 11:39 AM  
  • Somehow if I create a 1-800-Lollies, me, myself would imagine it's a number for the desperates...so I'll pass

    By Blogger Lollies, at 12:15 PM  
  • Afiq...why do u have to repeat what Pok Ku already mentioned in his post? Ish ish ish...

    By Blogger ビビ, at 12:21 PM  
  • Speaking of this, I saw a few hot numbers when I was in States like 1-800-HOT-BABES or 1-800-SEXY-MAMA. Mebbe shouldn't introduced it here. Ppl might be misusing those 1-800 numbers for some 'illegal' businesses ;)

    By Blogger shay, at 2:10 PM  
  • 765-58 . 226-968- 3463- 63 ? 337866 .

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:18 PM  
  • wahhh....great post ler pok ku! i can think of soo many to share with everyone but...i'd rather keep it to myself for fear of being "piak"ed ;)

    Cheers!!! :D

    By Blogger hyelbaine, at 4:19 PM  
  • As much as all those numbers are important, my bet is the number that would be a favourite to many Malaysians would be

    1-800-CEPAT-KAYA

    1-800-NAIK-PANGKAT

    1-800-TITLE-DATUK

    1-800-JOM-BETTING

    oh yeah.. another one

    1-800-GOSSIP-LIAR

    By Blogger Amiruddin Karim, at 4:42 PM  
  • PokKU - what letter do you use when the number is one (1) or zero (0) for the international std code ? 1=I and O=0 ?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:24 PM  
  • (765-58 = Pok Ku ). 469-273-968? 326-273-33262-8417-6377243 ?? 273-2564- 47- 843 -2378 -836458-28782626.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:33 PM  
  • Kak Teh:
    Welcome to the gang! I will see what I come up with about crabs.

    riza:
    I hope Some Selangor bigwig read your comment.

    joe:
    It would be nice but 1-300 numbers are usually answered by computers.

    Honeytar:
    LOL! I thought you are on a dating break or something.

    SleekBlackMercedes:
    I hope you never need them.

    Afiq:
    Agreed!

    FG:
    Aaah yes. RMKL has been forward-looking lately.

    Elisa:
    You have to register your phone somewhere in East Malaysia I think to get one beginning with 8.

    sham:
    Go ahead. The button is linked to Mack's post.

    atiza:
    Aaaah, a Keanu fan.

    Anon@10.39am:
    I think in the states, both are given.

    Anon@10.39am:
    Interesting!

    Blabarella:
    We learn from each other, everyday.

    Chek Na:
    Heheh. Good list.

    grease-bar:
    LOL!

    LollieS:
    But it would be easier to remember.

    bibi:
    Easy on your brother.:D

    shay:
    Agreed butthen everythig can be abused.

    Anon@2.18pm:
    I found EDRUS. I might be wrong.

    3six7:
    Thats creative!

    hylebaine:
    Live dangerously, man!

    Amir Etcetera:
    Heheheh. Good perception.

    By Blogger Bustaman, at 5:33 PM  
  • (765-58 = Pok Ku ). 469-273-968? 326-273-33262-8417-6377243 ?? 273-2564- 47- 843 -2378 -836458-28782626

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:41 PM  
  • Anon@5.24pm:
    I guessed they are not given numbers with 1s inside. 0 (zero) is usually reserved for Operator. Thats another digit that Vanity numbers cannot use.

    By Blogger Bustaman, at 5:46 PM  
  • Anon@5.41pm:
    I am fine, thank you. I just managed to get my name in the rest of the message. Heheheh!

    By Blogger Bustaman, at 5:55 PM  
  • I'll need 7642432 to spell my real name. :)

    By Blogger Yume, at 12:32 PM  
  • As many links as you want!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:39 PM  
  • to all of the major RSS feed directories on the Internet.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:45 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

© Bustaman :: permalink