<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Di Bawoh Rang Ikang Kering
Random Ramblings of A Retired Retainer

ONE WEEKEND DOWN UNDER

Saturday, September 11, 2004

They sent me to learn Media Management in Australia. The International Training Institute was in Mossman, Sydney but we were sent for attachments later to Canberra, Melbourne and Brisbane.

When I was in Australia, they asked me why I didn't eat the beef, lamb or chicken served in the dining hall. I just smiled and didn't bother to explain why. I just took out my sardines or eggs and have them with my rice. Occasionally, a fellow student, Fatimah (a lecturer from USM) shared her serondeng (spiced beef floss) with me. Vegemite (or Marmite in Malaysian market) on crackers helped too.

On weekends, in Sydney, I went out with fellow Muslims like Hj. Abdullah Bolhiah from Sarawak and look for the only Muslim restaurant that we know somewhere on the street parallel to George Street. The restaurant was then owned and operated by a young Indonesian who bought halal meat and turned them into delicious Nasi Padang dishes.

One Sunday, while we were having our lunch, we were distracted by the scene of the restaurant owner explaining vehemently but patiently to a man in a naval officer's uniform. The officer looked and sounded like a Malay. He wanted to be doubly sure that all the food he wanted to order was halal. He was convinced and he ordered his lunch. He also ordered beer.

By the way, when I stock up on my sardines, I was always asked how many cats I had. Apparently, in Sydney, sardines are cat food.

Have a nice weekend folks!

| 12:03 PM :: ::
6 CommentsOldStyle:
  • Haaa... tulah Pok Ku! A lot of people do that, and I simply don't understand it!!!

    There were these two occasions when I was working in a restaurant back home as a waitress (lepas SPM)... and this Pak Arab's came in. They were extra fussy about the halal-ness of the food... and then, lepas tuh, calmly ordered beers to go with it. Depan-depan their jubah-and-tudung-clad wives. You should have seen my mouth drop open! Haiyohhh....

    I mean, I firmly believe that a man's religious practice is his own business... but why make such a fuss over one thing and then completely disregard the next? Very the confusing....

    By Blogger DaisyBoo Blacksheep, at 5:45 AM  
  • My student days, waiting the table back in Pizza Hut London. Pak Arab & Wife was also so concerned about the 'Halalness' and 'no pork' pizza. He then ordered Chicken and Beef Pizza plus White Wine to go with it. I let my colleague deliver the food. It lasted me 3months there. I move on to pork free, liquor free restaurant.

    By Blogger Honeytar, at 12:28 PM  
  • I've known several muslim arab friends who are/were bigger drinkers and sausage eaters but I figured it was just a whim to fit in since they are far from home here in california and all alone, guess I was wrong in my assumtions.. oh well to each their own.

    Cali Elisa

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:32 AM  
  • ironic.

    -ninjaturtle

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:37 PM  
  • ha ha ha.... that cat food is one of my favourite, especially yummylicious if its cooked a lil bit hot and eat together with french bean and egg.

    omg.. now im salivating. i better stop.

    lover of cat food...

    -lioness-

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:18 AM  
  • When we were visiting a schhol in Japan, we were provided lunch. They put the chicken curry on the rice. I could only eat about a quarter of the rice with some salad. it's hard to explain when the Indonesians who are also Muslims ate it without a second thought. I just told people I was a vegetarian.

    By Blogger Yume, at 4:02 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

© Bustaman :: permalink