<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Di Bawoh Rang Ikang Kering
Random Ramblings of A Retired Retainer

ONE MOSSMAN MORNING

Wednesday, September 15, 2004
I read somewhere that in the beginning, getting out of Australia was a problem. Many years later, getting into Australia is a problem.

The last time I was Down Under was 23 years ago. It was my second visit to Australia. The first was on a MAS inaugural flight to Melbourne where they took us to a restaurant named "Dirty Dick". We stayed at Noah's Hotel. Nope, it wasn't an ark and there were no animals. Melbourne was cold enough for a friend from Terengganu to remark that the "whole country is air-conditioned". I also got to cover a noisy demonstration by masked Malaysian students. I couldn't remember what their grievances were.

The second visit was much longer. I was housed in Glebe, an unfashionable part of Sydney then while the course was conducted in Mossman, a fashionable part of Sydney. A coach took all the course participants every morning from South Sydney crossing the Sydney Harbour Bridge to North Sydney. This was the first time that I attended a course together with my former PE teacher. Cikgu Razali was with other Malaysians for the Inspectorate Course while I was with media managers from all over the developing world for the Media Management Course. I could remember our "gang": Dorji from Bhutan, Ibrahim Manik (now Minister of Information) from Maldives, Marcell from Gambia, Malakar from Film Institute of India and one amiable Pathan from Northwest Frontier whose name escapes me at the moment.

The Media Management classes were held in the classroom nearest to the beach. The complex was separated from the beach by a barbed-wire fence. We were curious about the beach and during one tea break decided to have a closer look.
We walked to the fence and looked over.

There were a number of people under the shady trees reading or otherwise relaxing, enjoying the sunny morning and the salty air. They were all in their birthday suit while we, on our side of the fence were in full business suit. Except for our Pathan friend. He was in his traditional shalwar baggy pants.

It was only then that we realized we had a nude beach on our doorstep.

It must be noted that the nudes we saw were not the nudes you get on the Internet. These were not the Pamela Anderson or Burt Reynold type. It was like looking at your uncles and aunties naked. They were unperturbed but we were embarrassed. Some were shocked, culturally and visually.

During lunch the same day, Dorji and Malakar skipped sausages.

| 1:03 PM :: ::
6 CommentsOldStyle:
  • LOL... i dont think i would even step in 'Dirty Dick' even though i was starving. (im gonna refrain myself from making further comment on the place :D)

    Nice beach.... i'll go there only when i forget to bring my glasses or when i lost my contact lense..LOL

    -lioness-

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:48 AM  
  • Hahaha... I know JUST how you feel Pok Ku! Tris and I decided to go to the beach one fine day last summer. We soon found one we liked (there are many around Wellington) and proceeded to haul our backpack full of stuff down there. As we were walking along... I kept seeing flashes of old men coming out of the nearby marshes one by one. I didn't get it until finally... we walked past a guy sitting reading the newspapers. As we walked by, he put his newspaper aside to cheerily wave at us and say hello... and lo and behold... let's just say I got the full salute that day! :P

    By Blogger DaisyBoo Blacksheep, at 2:37 PM  
  • LOL... I was looking at this appartment recently... it kind of reminded me of something you might find in Glebe. It was two blocks from "Dick's" the local drive-up burger joint and across the street from the "Erotic Bakery". Looking in the window there was a meter long inflatable penis with a feather boa wrapped around the bottom to give the impression of... well, use your imagination here . =P For some reason I decided not to rent the place and obstained from the hamburgers and baked goods... however, sausages were still on the menu. =P

    -Posted by Mary

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:38 PM  
  • H ha. No wonder it's called Dirty Dick. It must have been covered in sand.

    By Blogger Yume, at 3:47 PM  
  • Oh oh. Sorry I got it wrong apparently. The Dirty Dick was on the first visit, nude beach the second.
    Just like when I went to Japan, I didn't try the hot spring because we had to be naked. Anyway, here they separate the men from the women.

    By Blogger Yume, at 3:50 PM  
  • oooh.. I'm itching to take a peak at all the wonderful things yet to be seen by me (which are many) in other countries. lol, I sure do hope I dont stumble into any nude beaches! I've done good so far ;) unless they're making a movie shoot of some sort, I'll remember to carry dark sunglasses with me just in case :-P

    Life is one big adventure, live it up.

    Cali Elisa

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:40 AM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

© Bustaman :: permalink