<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Di Bawoh Rang Ikang Kering
Random Ramblings of A Retired Retainer

PULAUKAN PULAU REDANG?

Wednesday, May 05, 2010
Yesterday I read something about Terengganu that I can blog about.
The Terengganu state government feels that there are too many people visiting Pulau Redang. For the newsreaders out there Redang is pronounced as ray-dung. Remember that you ignoramus.
Somehow, Redang has become famous. 40 years ago, when I first stepped foot on Redang. There was no chalet or resort. I had to do my business in the bush. 10 years ago, when I brought my cucu to the island, there were resorts and chalets all over the place. There is even an airstrip to bring rich tourists to the island. At Kilau's resort (the former Redang Government Rest House) I met a few Chinese from Perak. They were tradesmen and they were not rich. They scrimped and saved to get to the island. They heard about the beauty of the island and they had to come. So how do you discourage people like these?
One way I guess is to promote other islands. In case you forget, there are many more islands in Terengganu. If you want to relax and snorkel, you can do that at Pulau Kapas and Pulau Perhentian too. Honeymooners can choose Pulau Gemia. Serious scuba divers know that the islands for them are Pulau Tenggol and Pulau Lang Tengah. I have been told that even Bidong has some nice diving spots.
Promote these islands and you can ease the strain on Redang. Otherwise some form of control has to be introduced and enforced. This is easier said than done. I think it is more difficult than bringing married couples to the island to reignite their passion and romance.
I shall wait for the detailed plan of action. In the meantime, you are welcome to offer suggestions.

Labels: