<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Di Bawoh Rang Ikang Kering
Random Ramblings of A Retired Retainer

SUBOH GAJOH

Saturday, December 04, 2004

I am becoming a night person, the burung hantu. I go to sleep late. Even when I go to bed early, I will not fall asleep until past 3 am. I wait for The Late Show and/or EPL live telecasts although I do not have any favourite team to cheer now. I used to follow Liverpool's fortune in the 80s when they had Ian Rush and last year I was rooting for Chelsea when they were the underdogs. This year, I watch whatever matches I can.

Sleeping late made me groggy when the alarm buzzes me for subuh, the dawn prayer. Most of the time (after retirement), I wake up, do my prayers in time and then go back to sleep. Lately, I noticed with considerable alarm that there are too many days that I did my subuh outside the prescribed time. This is called suboh gajoh. Performing suboh gajoh too many times may cause my membership in the haji club to be withdrawn (with a show cause letter). Corrective measures are needed and quickly.

Besides cultivating new good habits (which is more difficult than cultivating bad habits) I thought of recording TV shows that are on when I should be sleeping. I could not remember which technician got my VCR to be repaired so I have to discount using VCR. Besides, having a VCR is equivalent to having those heavy and big 1st Generation phones. I have to spend a lot of time answering friends' question on why I am using obsolete technology. That is if they stopped laughing. The new DVD recorders could be a solution but blank DVDs are still relatively expensive. Shelf that for the moment.

I wish we have TiVo in Malaysia. In case you are wondering, TiVo is the service that enables you to record 140 hours of programming automatically using a special TiVo box. The service is USD 12.95 per month. That's about what you pay for one of the Astro's package. The TiVo box starts at USD 99.99. TiVo sounds great. We will have to wait for the day when some entrepreneur introduces it into Malaysia.

I also came across TVtorrents. Some of you might have heard of this. This is another application of BitTorrent combined with RSS. You can get programmes that you missed although they will be mostly non-local programmes. Click the link if you are interested, have broadband and a big hard drive.

Use the weekend to figure out how to use the software.I am going to do the same. I need to get this gajoh off my back.

Have a good weekend!

An article on how to setup TVTORRENT.
TiVo Homepage

| 12:01 AM :: ::
10 CommentsOldStyle:
  • I'm not a morning person myself, Pok Ku. Must be carrying a bigger jumbo than you do. Cobaan! Wonder how did the term 'subuh gajah' start in the first place. I'm sure you'd have the story :)

    By Blogger Kri, at 1:23 AM  
  • can I join your suboh gajoh club ? .. cos I seriously need help in waking up every morning .. we have 2 alarms and i never hear them at all .. BTW, do tell how suboh gajoh came about .. your version will always land me in stiches..

    -gartblue-

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:06 AM  
  • what has gajoh got to do with the subuh time is a mystery to me. do the elephants wake up after dawn?

    -rza

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:42 AM  
  • Comments sent via email:
    My ustaz used to say that when someone were awake and purposely didn’t perform the subuh prayer, when he/she pulls the blanket, it is as if he/she pulling the blanket which was made from kulit khinzir. I remembered that everytime some never-never-give-up syaitan try to persuade me not to wake up early. Funny thing is I will avoid to pull the blanket …macam geli gitu.
    Alhamdulillah, for women, Allah grant us abt 7 days in a month which we can just oversleep during subuh and the malaikat on the left side did nothing for that.

    Now, I’m such a morning person.. I don’t know how I got that . It is just in my head. May be pasal I banyak hutang kot dan kerja sendiri..so kena kerja lebih kuat dan lebih rajin dari orang lain…I dunno…

    TeacherZizah

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:56 PM  
  • Kri, Gartblue & rza : I am trying to find out how "subuh gajah" came about. My daughter Didi gave a logical explanation - It is already light/bright enough to see an elephant.
    TeacherZizzah: Alhamdullillah that you are a morning person. Early to bed, early to rise, makes a person healthy, wealthy and wise. InsyaAllah.

    By Blogger Bustaman, at 5:19 PM  
  • Pok Ku, my sister is having a post natal depression. And my brother in law hangs out with me occasionally. he is from trengganu. i used most of those strange and new words and terms from your blog, to break the ice with him. i notice that, we tend to get comfortable easier with people, if we can find some common grounds. thanks

    -riza

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:58 AM  
  • does anyone know what happened to Mat Jan (of Jongkang Jongket fame)?

    fazu

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:19 PM  
  • Kadang2 terlepas juga pergi Subuh gajoh. Usually on week-ends.

    By Blogger Yume, at 10:19 AM  
  • Ya BitTorrent rocks ! although there might be some legal issues. Then again I don't want to wait a few more weeks to see who gets a piece of Donald Trump's business (The Apprentice).

    As for the Subuh thingy, you prolly need to sign up with the Subuh Jemaah at the local surau/mesjid/musolla. Do all you can so you won't be late on your date with the Almighty.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:00 PM  
  • Subuh gajoh better than dok subuh at all. Of course, I'm not talking about me... :-P

    By Blogger ビビ, at 12:46 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

© Bustaman :: permalink