<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Di Bawoh Rang Ikang Kering
Random Ramblings of A Retired Retainer

MERDEKA!!!!

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Recent pic of Pulau Redang.
MERDEKA!!!!! I join all Malaysians worth their lemang* in celebrating our country's 47th year of Independence.
From my balcony, I can see fireworks in the copper night sky. On TV, they are singing "Kerana Mu Malaysia" from Padang MPK 2, Kuantan. Yesterday it was called Dataran Kemunting. Oh well.
In 1957, I celebrated Merdeka in Kota Baru, Kelantan. I had to make tanglung (lantern) and joined my school in a lantern procession. The lantern I made was supposed to be a dragon. It turned out like a misshapen arthritic worm. But I had fun making it. It got a lot of laughs from members of my family, my friends and assorted strangers.
I am still proud of Malaysia although I would be prouder still if we were not so proud of having a record -breaking longest lemang in the world but instead concentrate on where that lemang ends up - the toilets. There are STILL horror stories about our public toilets. Why? We don't toilet train our kids? Or we have primeval remnants in our psyche when we use the river, beaches and sundry bushes as our toilet that we dont treat modern toilets with the proper respect. I hope this is not the case. I just hope that it is just a case of bad aims and lack of pride.
(* lemang is glutinous rice cooked in bamboo tubes)
| 12:29 PM :: ::
8 CommentsOldStyle:
  • Pok Ku:

    Merdeka! Merdeka! Merdeka! Where exactly in KB did u celebrate 'Merdeka' in 1957? Is it in Padang Bank, near the mosque? I always remember 'bergendung basikal' with my dad to watch 'oghe bbaris' in Padang Bank during Merdeka celebration during my childhood.

    p.s: In the afternoon, my kids experienced public toilet horror in York nearby a parking area. They came out from the toilet saying "There is a lot of wees on the floor" One English lady nearby just gave us a big smile! My friend said this is horrible since we had pay hefty sum for the parking fee.

    SK

    By Blogger fokd, at 5:30 AM  
  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Bustaman, at 11:19 AM  
  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Bustaman, at 12:50 PM  
  • Padang Bank, across the road from "Bank Kerapu" was the de facto venue for many historic occasions. The lantern procession was however held somewhere else. I only remembered that part of it took place along Jalan Pengkalan Chepa nearer to town.
    Very much later, I frequented the other end of Padang Bank jostling for Tok Ayoh's famous green soup.

    By Blogger Bustaman, at 12:58 PM  
  • From Cali Elisa

    Wow I like this blog much better its easily accessable and beautiful, I hope to see many daily blogs added to this one :-D HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!! now I can see the pictures added to the diffrent wonderful dishes you tell us about. Looking forward to your Blogs and comments ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:34 PM  
  • Ha ha welcome to Blogger! Will you consider adding haloscan, which is more democratic for visitors?

    Your story was a far cry from the Merdeka eve I had with my kids last night, about which i shall blog soon!

    By Blogger mokciknab, at 4:11 PM  
  • First of all... very nice blog Pok Ku.

    And now, on to the toilets. To be honest, I think it's the water... or use of it. Running water can be rather messy affair... and when it gets on the floor and seats etc... it traps dirt and makes everything look 10 times more mucky and also results in the stink! And then, this initial dirt all around then makes people think, "Aiyah... already dirty what" and subsequently, not bother trying to keep it clean anymore.

    On the other hand, overseas toilets, although have the same amount of dirt in the toilets... don't show it as much and do not stink because of the lack of puddles everywhere.

    Therefore, I recommend, instead of flowing water... maybe our toilets should just be equipped with wet wipes instead... like the stuff that babies use!

    By Blogger DaisyBoo Blacksheep, at 6:56 AM  
  • Pak Bustaman,

    Welcome to blogger. Nice photo of Redang. How I wish I could be celebrating Merdeka day in Pulau Redang!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:20 AM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

© Bustaman :: permalink